Crohn's Disease: Taking it one moment at a time

Monday, June 30, 2014

Imu-what?

Today has not been a good day. I went to sleep around 3 AM after my pain/nausea medications kicked in & numbed the excruciating joint pain and subtle stomach ache. I finally got out of bed to take a shower before my doctors appointment around 11 AM.

I was feeling very I'll at the doctor's office so they let me lay down in a spare room in the office until it was my turn for my Rheumatologist to see me. 

My Rheumatologist finally took a hold on the reigns and RX me an immunosuppressant called Imuran. My doctor's have been on the fence for a while about starting me on this medication because when Imuran is combined with a biologic such as the Cimzia I'm on, it raises your risk of developing cancer and other serious diseases. 

While on Imuran I am not allowed to become pregnant which, for now, doesn't bother me because truthfully I don't want kids anyways. I'm also way too young to even be thinking about that. 

Imuran takes up to 6 months to work fully but I should notice a difference in my symptoms after about 2 months. I'm very excited because this combination could be my miracle drug!

No comments:

Post a Comment